Monday, October 26, 2009

More Tips for the Facebook Forum


What to do when:

Someone posts or tags a less than flattering photo of you

Email them through Facebook and mention you would prefer the unphotogenic picture be removed. It's also possible to untag yourself in the mean time.


An individual repeatedly sends over a Friend Request (this seems to happen more than expected. Oftentimes, it's a friend of a friend or someone simply looking to add people to his or her profile).

I don't believe it's necessary to send an explanation to the person as to why you aren't interested in making the connection. If a friend request is denied, there is no communication sent over to the sender that you have done so. If the request is sent more than once or twice, my suggestion is to block them. On the blocked end, this will look like your profile is no longer active. If you have mutual friends, your name and pictures from past posts will still be there in an unlinkable form, but any future communication will be invisible.

I have also gotten into the habit of emailing the mutual friends I have with the unknown person who has sent the request. More often than not, there is a domino affect of friend acceptance (my friend didn't know them either but had 5 mutual friends and so accepted the request, and so on).


You, yourself are deleted

If it's someone you didn't know well, try not to take it personally. It might just be that the individual who deleted you is trying to edit down their contacts to those he or she is close to.

If it is someone you knew well (aka someone in "real life"), my suggestion is to email them for confirmation of this decision. Give them the benefit of the doubt that it could be a glitch. If by chance this was done intentionally, at least you have tried to open the lines of communication to discuss any issues.

Someone in your network is posting more updates than you care to read

Simply click to the right of their most recent posting and opt to "hide" them. You will no longer receive any future postings.


A good guideline to follow is not to act on Facebook any differently than you would in person. The separation from interaction provided by our computers often lends itself to things we wouldn't necessarily do or say face to face. My belief and goal is to use social media to enhance communications, not replace it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is funny (because I think every facebook user has faced these dilemas). I like the last line of your blog..."to use social media to enhance communications, not replace it" Unfortunately the next generation seems to lean on the "replace it" side of the spectrum. It kind of reminds me of using coupons...do I clip the coupon because it is a good deal or do I not clip it because I wouldn't have bought it to begin with? (ie, do I add the "friend" that I wouldn't keep up with otherwise?)