Monday, October 26, 2009

Facebook: Computer Friends Deserve Manners too

It's all too easy to use the Internet as a means to stay in contact with people. In fact, ever since social media became a daily part of most people's lives, the Internet has made it possible to create a habit of monitoring friends and acquaintances without any real interaction at all.

I wanted to address this issue, because I am simultaneously guilty and frustrated with this fact. Admittedly, I'm hesitant to attend my own high school reunion for the simple fact that I'm not a fan of small talk, and Facebook has taken the mystery out of what my classmates have been up to the past ten years.
On a similar note, I try to keep my own FB friends to people I know and have kept in touch with to some degree. I realize that social media can be a great medium for networking and expanding one's connections. At this point, however, I'm taking the old fashioned route and keeping my FB network to personal contacts.

Although Emily Post never dealt with such informal interaction, she did have some things to say about leaving invitations for social occasions:

"A card should always be left with the first invitation to a stranger who has brought a letter of introduction, and it is polite - though not necessary - to ask to be received."

FB Application: When connecting with an old friend, if I am the one who sends out the request, I try to write a few sentences, just to say hello again. If I am on the receiving end of a request without a message, I like to accept the invite with a quick greeting as well. These two steps take only a few minutes and help to keep the connection on Facebook personal.

In terms of making one's place in the community:

"You who are establishing yourself, choose to have the populace look upon you because of your wealth and fashion, or would you wish to be loved, not as a power conferring favors which belong really to the first picture, but as a fellow-being with an understanding heart?"
Emily Post Etiquette 1924

Facebook Application: Is it worth adding as many friends as possible just to appear popular? Or would you rather keep the people connected to you, those who actually know and care about you?

Aside from dealing with the acquisition of friends on Facebook, here are some other helpful tips for relationships, both platonic and romantic alike.

No comments: