Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Going up


Living in an apartment, one thing I spend quite a lot of time in on a daily basis is my building's elevator. I must admit I'm a bit frustrated by the constant lack of courtesy.
For those of us who are frequent  riders, may I suggest a few simple guidelines:
  • If you have called the elevator, upon its arrival please WAIT two seconds after the door has opened to allow any and all passengers to exit. Even if it is 3 AM, there is still a chance someone else is needing to get off the lift and there is nothing more frustrating than running into someone who simply couldn't wait for the doors to open. (as I recall from my days of working in a downtown office, this problem was even more prevalent during rush hour when there is a car full of expectant riders and a car full of those exiting.)
  • Although we are the generation who is perpetually in a hurry, please remember some consideration for your home and work neighbor. If you see a person out of the corner of your eye rushing to catch the elevator, hold the car. This is especially true when said neighbor is carrying armloads of groceries.
  • And finally, for some lovely icing on the cake, a small comment or conversation is an easy way to be neighborly. It can be as simple as "Have a nice day." This small token will be appreciated and likely remembered by your fellow passenger.

No comments: