Friday, April 2, 2010

Silverware

If you haven't seen the new show, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, I highly recommend it! The show is based on famous chef, Jamie Oliver's time spent in Huntington, West Virginia where government reports have identified the city as the unhealthiest town in the United States. Truth be told, my guess is their numbers aren't too far off from the rest of the country's. Americans notoriously have a problem with food and convenience. We have lost the passion for a quality meal and taking the time out of our day to break bread with loved ones.

I mention Jamie Oliver's show specifically for a scene in last week's episode. Jamie served a meal to an elementary school that required a basic set of utensils: fork, knife, and spoon. However, this particular school did not allow kids to use knives and was not accustomed to providing forks. Similar to the chef's reaction, I was shocked!

Though he was able to talk the school into allowing the kids to use a fork and knife, it is quite clear that the children had absolutely no clue how to use either one. Ladies and Gentlemen, this reality is unacceptable. We are depriving the next generation of civility and basic table skills. Fried chicken and pizza pockets are not the answer.







Parents, nannies, babysitters, older siblings, neighbors, anyone who has a child in their life... Take the time to take on this small responsibility. These fundamental abilities will serve kids for life. (And butter knifes, when used correctly, are not a safety hazard) A good friend of mine teaches her sons "Monday Manners." Guess what she focused on a couple weeks ago?  Using a knife.               

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Um, I'm sorry, Jamie, but "the most powerful thing a teacher can do" is to teach students to use a knife and fork? I have to disagree here. Using a knife is the least of my concerns for my students who are struggling to read at grade level! I also don't like that he places this burden on teachers. Please don't get me wrong, I love my students, but I also like my lunch break. You will not find me spending it in the cafeteria teaching students to use silverware. Also, like you said, a butter knife, when used correctly, is not a weapon. However, do you know how many students will choose to use it inappropriately? Too many!

I do appreciate that you made your plea to parents, nannies, babysitters, older siblings and neighbors. Thank you. Teachers have WAY too much on our plates already to add in silverware usage.