Monday, August 24, 2009

Keeping Up Appearances

Recently, I have received a reminder of how important it is to have a suitable appearance in public. Working from home hasn't helped matters much for me. Unless I'm going into the office, I hardly wear makeup or nice clothing (the Texas heat doesn't help either). This means that during the day if I need to take a break and run an errand or two, I'm most likely wearing a tee shirt and yoga pants with my hair in a pony tail.

Last week, I ran into a VERY important professional contact on one such occasion. She was a friend of a friend, and this was our first introduction. She was polished from head to toe in couture, I was wearing Bermuda shorts and flip flops. Trying my best to rise above the way I looked, I made an effort to begin a conversation on my interest in her business. I was completely written off. Crushed, I resolved never to be caught in this situation again...

Two days later I ran into her... again. Sadly, I looked no better than I had on our first meeting. I said a quick hello, and shyly continued on my way.

This bring me to today's etiquette guidelines on the importance of looking presentable.

Our vintage advice comes from a 1958 Secretarial and Finishing Course by Nancy Taylor. This four volume set teaches everything from "getting to know yourself", "modeling maneuvers", "sitting correctly", and being beautiful "from your fingers to your toes."



The powder pink pages teach on "How to be Dainty at All Times"


"Men in all walks of life feel instinctively that a girl with glossy hair, clean skin and shiny teeth, who is fresh as a daisy from her head to her toes, is somehow delightfully feminine. And the girl who can keep herself trim as a sailing craft, who shines like a newly minted penny, is apt to look well year after year. For her grooming is the result of a consistent effort to maintain a high standard. And that standard will be good whether she has lots of natural beauty to do with, or little... Let's consider this a small lesson: good grooming will earn you the title of the sweetest girl in town. Once you learn to care for your clothes, you'll be the neatest girl in town!"

Transitioning from the 50s to today, my general rule of thumb (now) is to consider how you look for where you are going. Of course not all destinations require dressing to the nines... maybe just the eights.



However, a good thought to keep in mind: would you be embarrassed to run into anyone? Consider the people you want to make a good impression on: old high school friend, boss or coworker, family member, an crush/ex, or a potential employer. I blew not one but two chances to build a good connection, simply because I wasn't able to give a solid first impression.

Airplane travel may be one of the worst catalysts for improper dressing. Comfort seems to be the main concern, especially on long flights. However, airplanes are one of the most important places to look put together. Many of my friends have made important professional contacts on a flights.

Comfort doesn't have to equate to laziness. I for one, don't have the time or energy to put the whole package together each morning, but a coat of mascara, non-chipped nails, a summer dress, and some accessories are everyday easy and just as comfortable as yoga pants.

Taking pride in one's appearance tells people they take pride in themself, their work and their life.

No comments: